Thursday, July 16, 2009

(7/15/2009)







Joe took a day off so he could join us sight-seeing. We went to Goldfield ghost town in AJ, AZ, where someone rebuilt the town to attract tourists. (It is a tourist trap. But we were hoping for the best.) Perhaps it was because we came on a weekday, there were not anyone there dressed in period costumes and re-enact wild west street scenes. We did walked around and looked at different buildings; one thing they all have in common: very hot inside if no A/C running!

Goldfield is situated right at the foot of Tonto National Forest, so we decided to drive up the mountain road and see what's up there.

The road quickly became narrow and winding. Many stretches have no guardrail. The road is paved and thank goodness for that! The view is desolate but grand. Layers upon layers of colorful rocks and dirt make the landscape otherworldly. However I took very few pictures because I was quite preoccupied with hanging onto the car door handle! I must admit, I was quite nervous on the way up. Then paved road ended. We were not willing to bounce the next 10- 20 miles to higher ground so Joe turn the car around and headed down. Well, compare to the trip up, the way down was even more exciting! I hope my nervousness did not transmit to the 3 kids in the back seat. I did, back at the entrance of the park, told myself not to come back in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the trip!!! Hope you all enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete